Sealing Your Record For Good
If you could have your criminal offenses sealed or erased, would you? In Florida, individuals with a criminal history who meet certain qualifying factors can apply for criminal record sealing or an expungement, which removes a criminal offense.
Remember, even if your case was ultimately dismissed or you were acquitted, your record displayseverything. From the day you were arrested to trial, this is reflected in public record. Therefore, even the stigma of an arrest can survive. The only way to truly have a clean record is through a sealing or expungement.
Sealing Criminal Records
A criminal record can affect all aspects of your life, from getting a job to renting an apartment. For those concerned about the impact a criminal charge can have on their lives, Florida offers two options:
- Record sealing — Normally, a criminal record may be accessible by employers, landlords and others in the public sector. Record sealing secures an individual’s criminal record from public view. Record sealing is not available for criminal convictions, only criminal charges. Furthermore, record sealing is only applicable if you received a “withhold of adjudication” in court. Domestic violence cases do not qualify. For those who receive a withhold of adjudication along with probation, you are eligible to start a record sealing the day you get off probation.
- Expungement — An expungement removes an offense from an individual’s criminal record. Domestic violence cases are only eligible for expungements. You can expunge a sealed record after 10 years if you get into no further trouble.
Even if you completed a first-offender and diversion program and the case dismissed charges against you, there is still a public record of your arrest. The disposition of your charge is not always apparent in a Public Clerk of Courts search. Fortunately, for those who complete a first-offender and diversion program, they are eligible to seal or expunge.
Not all crimes can be sealed or expunged. Certain offenses such as arson, DUI and rape cannot be removed. To find out if you are eligible for either option, contact my law firm.
The Importance Of Working With A Lawyer
You can only seal or expunge one offense from your criminal record. The application process can be complicated, requiring court involvement. Ultimately, a judge has to approve the decision to seal or expunge a record. Working with an attorney in the criminal records expungement process can ensure that steps are properly taken. You may only get one chance to have your record cleared.
Contact Me For Experienced Representation
- Traffic Tickets and Criminal Traffic Offenses
Many people do not realize the serious legal consequences that can come with traffic violations — but these things should be taken seriously.
- First Offender and Diversion Program
The benefits of obtaining an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible cannot be stressed enough.
- Drug Sale, Manufacture and Delivery
The Florida Legislature has made it unlawful for any person to sell, manufacture or deliver,
- Drug Trafficking / Minimum Mandatory Sentences
Penalties for drug crimes in Florida vary depending on the type and quantity of drug
- Prescription Drug Offenses
Florida has some of the strictest laws against illegal drug possession, manufacturing and distribution.
- Drug Possession
Florida law takes drug crimes seriously and, as your lawyer, it is my job to build a serious defense.
- Juvenile Law
Kids make mistakes.
If someone attacks you, you have the right to defend yourself.
- Early Termination of Probation
There are multiple reasons that people run into problems with their probation, and many of them are beyond their control.
- Fighting Against a Restraining Order
While a restraining order is often issued temporarily, it can have a long-term effect on the receiver.
- Obtaining a Restraining Order
As a victim of domestic violence, abuse, harassment or stalking, you have the right to seek a restraining order.
- Domestic Violence
Sometimes situations get out of control. Other times, false allegations are made.
- Record Sealing and Expungements
If you could have your criminal offenses sealed or erased,
- DUI Penalties
DUI Driving Under The Influence
The police are not your friends.
- Theft Offenses
At The Law Office of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A., I handle a wide range of theft crimes, from petty theft to first-degree grand theft.
- Sex Crimes
The benefits of obtaining an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible cannot be stressed enough
- Firearms Offenses and Violent Crimes
Florida weapons charges laws have become increasingly strict, and the potential sentences people face are longer.
Contact Me For A Flat-Fee Divorce
For legal representation in any dissolution of marriage matter, please reach out to me online or call me toll free at 866-435-4172.